Should my Aprilaire Humidifier be hooked up to hot or cold water?

Consumer question:

I have a Aprilaire 600m model and should I conect the water supply to the hot or cold line.

Aprilaires' response:

Thank you for your email regarding your model 600M Aprilaire humidifier. Your Aprilaire humidifier will operate on hot, cold hard or soft water. We do however recommend hot water as it will increase the evaporative capacity of the humidifier. Hot water will also allow you to operate your humidifier during a fan call. A heat source is required for the evaporation process. During a fan call the only source of heat is hot water.

14 thoughts on “Should my Aprilaire Humidifier be hooked up to hot or cold water?

1. Best Hepa Air Purifier

Thanks for the information shared in here about Aprilaire Humidifier. It is really informative and most likely everybody who have this model of humidifier encounter the same question.

2. Frank Hall

how can i test my aprilair my control has off and on and numbers in between. test not have a test setting?
    Thanks

3. Pat

I have my fan on the furnace set to on not automatic. So I have it running all the time to circulate the air better. By doing this will the aprilaire constantly be running or only when the heat actually kicks in? Or do I have to wire it differently?

4. Sonny

I just bought a new house and noticed the water supply for the humidifier connected to the hot water outlet from my water heater. Wasn’t sure if that was correct so found this answer on your site. Now I can move on to more pressing concerns. Thank you

5. William Wolf

I too was concerned that my Aprilaire 600M was connected to the hot water line. Your response alleviated my concern. Thank you.

6. Lee Smith

Not happy to find out 3 years after my unit was professionally installed the tech connected it to a cold water line. Explains why it doesnt seem like it was working. Great! Now i pay to have it switched over.

1. aprilaireadmin

Dear Lee,
      Thank you for contacting us with regards to your Aprilaire humidifier. Although you did not list which humidifier you have, most of our published evaporation rates assume the water is cold. Hot water is only required for models 350 and 360 and recommended for all other furnace-mounted humidifiers. If your humidifier seems like it is not working, an evaporative check of the unit should be able to answer that question. If you provide us with the model number, we can send you the instructions you or your installer can follow to determine whether your humidifier is working as intended.
      We look forward to assisting you with this issue.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
      Aprilaire, Division of Research Products Corporation
      1015 East Washington Avenue | Madison, Wisconsin 53703
      1-800-334-6011 | Fax: 608-257-4357
      Call Center Hours – M-F, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm CT

1. aprilaireadmin

Dear Paul,

Thank you for contacting us with regards to your Aprilaire product. Based on the information provided, it’s not clear which of our products you have. Most of our Air Cleaners have a 12-month replacement cycle. Early models such as 2200, 2250 and 2400 could be changed out every 24 months. If you are referring to another product, please let us know which one so that we can provide you with the correct information.
      We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
      Aprilaire, Division of Research Products Corporation
      1015 East Washington Avenue | Madison, Wisconsin 53703
      1-800-334-6011 | Fax: 608-257-4357
      Call Center Hours – M-F, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm CT

7. Karen

I’m concerned about using the hot water supply because of allergies to mold. Doesn’t using the hot water supply cause more mineral sentiment to accumulate in the lines and increase the risk of mold growth? I have to change out the wicks twice during the winter season and have the clear run off lines replaced every year because of mold in the lines, dispite the fact that we live in an area with a very good public water supply and also have a whole house water purification system installed on incoming lines and before entering our tankless hot water heater. Water in the wick can evaporate by the fan running.

1. aprilaireadmin

Dear Karen,

Thank you for contacting us with regards to your Aprilaire Humidifier. Based on the information provided, it’s not clear which model you are using. A 400-series humidifier has a wicking-style water panel. This unit does not gain much benefit from hot water and can use either hot or cold water.
      Heating the water does not add minerals, it only increases its energy level so that it can evaporate more quickly. Mold can grow any place you have three things, a food source, moisture and darkness. Hot water does not technically lead directly to mold growth, but it does provide one of the three requirements. To minimize the likelihood of mold or microbial growth within your humidifier’s drain line, as a part of your annual maintenance, try flushing a weak bleach/water solution down the drain. The bleach will kill any organisms that take hold inside the drain line.
      Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
      Aprilaire, Division of Research Products Corporation
      1015 East Washington Avenue | Madison, Wisconsin 53703
      1-800-334-6011 | Fax: 608-257-4357
      Call Center Hours – M-F, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm CT

8. Fred

Replace thermostat. Solinod Aprilaire humidifier working fine. Thermostat last about 5 yr. check thermostat first before u buy anything. I bought two thing did not need solinoid

9. Michael

Just got new oil heater and a Aprilaire system installed and saw it was connected to the hot water.My brother has one but his is hooked up to cold water line.I wonder if I should call them to switch it to the cold line?

1. aprilaireadmin

Michael,

The current model Aprilaire humidifiers should all use hot water except for the steam models which use cold water.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,