I'm I going to have room for this humidifier?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 by Aprilaire Team
Consumer question:

I purchased a 500A humidifer. Question. I don't have much of a return duct...it's approx only 4 inches between the hall return vent and my blower. I assume that I'd mount the unit to the supply, but where would I mount the bypass if I don't have a return duct? I could possibly squeeze in the automatic control in there (maybe), but not a 4" bypass duct.

Aprilaires' response:

The model 500A humidifier is a bypass unit. In order to operate, it needs to be connected to both the supply duct and return duct. The bypass pipe is six inches around. Obviously, that is the smaller opening between the bypass and the humidifier opening itself. You will need to have at least enough room on either side to connect that bypass duct. If you find that you do not have space to at least connect the bypass, you may want to get a model 700 instead.

The model 700 (700A) is a power unit. It does not have a bypass pipe. You could simply mount this on the hot air supply side and be done. This will not over humidify, as it will turn off when it reaches the set point.

Comments for I'm I going to have room for this humidifier?

Leave a comment